Pear & Pesto Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breasts, AIP!
Made this meal for our special guests, who came all the way from Antarctica to visit. Yup, you read right!
If you haven’t noticed by now, I’m a sauce girl! I love having a jar of fresh homemade sauce to add that extra umph to any meal. This was no exception!
I had the idea of doing these stuffed chicken breasts a few days ago, I didn’t even know I was going to add the pesto, until I saw it there, all green & bright!
- 5 tbsp kale pesto*
- 5 chicken breasts
- 2 ripe pears
- 5 tsp mustard (omit or use horseradish for AIP)
- 3 tsp salt (may use black pepper too if not AIP)
- 10 slices bacon (check labels for sugar, nightshades etc)
- Kale Pesto:
- 2 cups kale chopped stems & leaves, I had these left over from my creamed kale soup!
- 1/2 haas avocado
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper (omit for AIP)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- For Pesto:
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor until desired smoothness.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Peel & slice pears in to 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Butterfly chicken breasts, cut in to them from the side, lengthwise to open them up like a book, leaving them attached in the middle.
- If you have a meat hammer, give them a light pounding. It’s not absolutely necessary, but it will help with the wrapping.
- On one side of the breasts, smear pesto, on the other mustard sauce (or horseradish/wasabi)
- Arrange 3-4 slices of pear on one side of the breast.
- Fold over the other side, close like a book, pick up in one hand, holding it shut, and sprinkle with salt mix.
- Then wrap with 2 slices of bacon in a diagonal, overlapping pattern.
- Repeat with all breasts.
- Arrange on lightly oiled sheet pan.
- Cook for 30 minutes, hitting it with the broiler the last 5 minutes.
- Let them sit a few minutes before serving.
- We had them over cream of kale, and it was delightful!
- Serving Size: 3