Nightshade Free Shakshuka!
This is one of those colorful, warm and so flavorful meals that you just can’t live without! Every time a beautiful skillet of simmering tomato & eggs popped up on my feed I just drooled. Tomatoes are a no go for me, so I would need no-mato marinara sauce to make this happen. For some reason I hadn’t made any in a while, but then something awesome happened. I made AIP pizza & had lots of extra pumpkin marinara to spare!
I also had eggs, onions, carrots, kale & chimichurri… it was meant to be!
I cut my carrots in long thin strips to mimic the bell peppers normally used for this dish & used the chimichurri to recreate the salty tangy garnish of feta & parsley. I’ll tell ya… it was delicious!
Warm, hearty, spiced & filling. Shakshuka for everyone
- 1 large sweet onion
- 2 heads garlic
- 3 medium carrots
- 2-3 cups no-mato sauce
- 1/2 cup bone broth
- 5 leaves dino kale
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- pink himalayan salt to taste
- 2 tbsp chimichurri (optional)
- Chimichurri Recipe
Pulse ingredients together in food processor
- 2 bunches parsley
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 cup distilled vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp pepper
- Cut carrots & onion in long thing strips, julienne.
- Mince garlic, remove stems from kale & set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a large, deep skillet.
- Add in onion, carrots, garlic & bay leaves.
- Saute on medium until onions are tender.
- Add in no-mato sauce & seasoning, let it simmer for 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in bone broth, especially if it’s getting too thick.
- Layer the kale over the saucy mixture, let them wilt a little. Do not mix in.
- Crack eggs in to skillet and cover with a lid partially.
- Let it simmer until the egg whites are no longer translucent.
- Garnish as desired.
- If you do dairy, go ahead and crumble a little feta, if not I highly recommend the chimichurri.
- Serve alone, with cauli rice or roasted sweet potato 🙂
- Dazzle everyone at brunch.