Bacon Apple Stuffed Meatballs over Sweet Potato Noodles with Dill Coleslaw… Seriously, is that even a title? I have nothing in the way of witty names for this dish… it’s just delicious, healthy & satisfying.
Sometimes weekdays can get away from me. Too busy, too tired, too stressed… and then nada... no amazing meals happen. This blog really is what we eat at home. I don’t get paid for this, there is no extra food budget to play with. That said, I truly try to make every meal an occasion, every meal blog worthy… it’s just much more fun!
This meal idea didn’t even hit me until 4:30 pm when my son wanted to ride is the bike. Between bike rides & park time, I managed to throw this together, and write down the recipe too. Well really, it’s rather simple, just three simple parts that come together to create an extraordinary meal. Bacon Apple Stuffed Meatballs… and all the other stuff too!
Looking for more free recipes?
Stuffed Turkey Meatballs with Sweet Potato Noodles
- 1lb organic ground turkey
- 1 green apple
- 4 slices uncured nitrate free bacon
- Pinch cinnamon
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 egg *omit for AIP, use 1 tsp cream of tartar + lemon juice
- 1 tbsp horseradish mustard *use just horseradish for AIP
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Salt + pepper
Sweet Potato Strings
- 2 medium sweet potato, I used garnet
- ½ cup coconut oil or other cooking fat
- Pinch salt
- *vegetable spiralizer or potato peeler
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 sprigs dill
- ¼ cup distilled vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard *omit for AIP
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp. minced mushrooms
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup light olive oil
- First, prepare the meatballs. Start with dicing the apple in very small cubes, mincing the garlic, and chopping up the bacon. Heat a skillet to medium-high, add in the bacon, stir occasionally, 2 minutes later add in the apple, garlic & cinnamon.
- Lower heat to medium. Cook stirring occasionally until the apple is browned and the bacon begins to crisp. Take off heat. Set aside to cool to room temperature- spread the mix out on a plate to expedite the process.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl mix the ground turkey with mustard, coconut aminos, coconut flour, egg, salt & pepper. Shape 3-4 large meatballs. Use your fingers to create a well the size of a golf ball in each meatball.
- Use a spoon to fill the meat cups with bacon-apple mix & close them, pinching the turkey meatball to a close. Coat the meatballs in bacon fat or coconut oil. Set on a sheet pan or cast iron skillet about 1-2 inches apart. Bake for 35 minutes.
- In the meantime use a spiralizer to make your sweet potato strings. Set aside.
- In your food processor combine vinegar, dill, mustard, salt & garlic, blend until combined then add one egg yolk in at a time.
- After 30 seconds, drizzle in oil very slowly to emulsify mayo.
- Toss desired amount of mayo with shredded cabbage.
- Store leftover mayo in the fridge.
When the meatballs are about 8 minutes to being done…
- Heat oil in a skillet on high. Add in half of the potatoes at a time & sprinkle with salt.
- Pan fry until crispy, turning them over every 2-3 minutes for 5-8 minutes until golden or light brown.
- The cooking time will vary depending on how thick your strings are.
- Remove strings from skillet with tongs and toss in a colander to drain excess fat.
- Repeat with second half of the strings.
To plate your meal:
- Make a little sweet potato nest in the center of your plate
- Place meatball on top then top with slaw & fresh dill.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
Keywords: stuffed turkey meatballs