As of late I’ve been missing foods like falafel, baba ganoush, tabouli… see a theme here? All the delicious Mediterranean treats that are grain, legume or nightshade based. I miss the mix of flavors & textures, the zest of lemon- but most of all how satisfying they are. With this thought floating around my consciousness I labored in the kitchen doing meal prep & cooking for a new AIP client. The result was an array of equally clean, complex & fresh meals! These AIP Chicken and Mushroom Burgers are juicy and packed with veggies!
Extraordinarily simple to make, with just one extra step to really make them pop, the protein patties are perfect for parties with a yummy aioli, atop a salad or even on your breakfast plate.
AIP Chicken and Mushroom Burgers
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 30
- Yield: 5
- 1lb Ground Organic Chicken
- 7 cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 oz lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- Peel your garlic & dice it with the mushrooms.
- Heat a skillet with 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Once hot add in mushrooms & garlic.
- Cook stirring often until mushrooms are tender, then add in spinach and stir a few times until wilted.
- Remove from heat and transfer sauteed veggies to food processor.
- Pulse with 1 tbsp olive oil, lemon juice & zest.
- Set aside until cooled.
- In a large bowl mix ground chicken, salt, pepper & tapioca starch.
- Add in cooled vegetable mix and coconut flour.
- Mix well.
- Let sit for a few minutes.
- The mix should be moist but without any pooling fluid.
- Shape 5, 4oz patties.
- In the same skillet where you cooked the mushroom & garlic, heat a little oil.
- Place patties in skillet with enough room to flip them.
- They will be too delicate for tongs, you will need to use a spatula.
- Cook on medium heat until golden brown on the bottom & flip- repeat.
- Internal temp should be 174F.
- Serve hot or store for awesome food prep!