Mushroom & Spinach Chicken Patties
As of late I’ve been missing foods like falafel, baba ganoush, tabouli… see a theme here? All the delicious Mediterranean treats that are grain, legume or nightshade based. I miss the mix of flavors & textures, the zest of lemon- but most of all how satisfying they are. With this thought floating around my consciousness I labored in the kitchen doing meal prep & cooking for a new AIP client. The result was a array of equally clean, complex & fresh meals! These patties among them.
Extraordinarily simple to make, with just one extra step to really make them pop, the protein patties are perfect for parties with a yummy aioli, a top a salad or even on your breakfast plate.
- 1lb Ground Organic Chicken
- 7 cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 oz lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt + pepper to taste, I use about a tsp each
- Peel your garlic & dice it with the mushrooms.
- Heat a skillet with 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Once hot add in mushrooms & garlic.
- Cook stirring often until mushrooms are tender, then add in spinach and stir a few times until wilted.
- Remove from heat and transfer sauteed veggies to food processor.
- Pulse with 1 tbsp olive oil, lemon juice & zest.
- Set aside until cooled.
- In a large bowl mix ground chicken, salt, pepper & tapioca starch.
- Add in cooled vegetable mix and coconut flour.
- Mix well.
- Let sit for a few minutes.
- The mix should be moist but without any pooling fluid.
- Shape 5, 4oz patties.
- In the same skillet where you cooked the mushroom & garlic, heat a little oil.
- Place patties in skillet with enough room to flip them.
- They will be too delicate for tongs, you will need to use a spatula.
- Cook on medium heat until golden brown on the bottom & flip- repeat.
- Internal temp should be 174F.
- Serve hot or store for awesome food prep!