This cottage pie uses sweet potato and yuca root!
- 2 small sweet potatoes (1 1/2 cup diced)
- 4 large pieces peeled yuca,
- for this recipe I used peeled, raw frozen yuca (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup almond milk (sub coconut milk for AIP)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 lb organic ground ground beef
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 large sweet onion
- 4 small carrots
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp Great Lakes Beef Gelatin (red can)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp toasted coriander (optional, omit AIP)
- 5 slices bacon (sugar free, nightshade free)
- 3 tbsp ground hazelnuts (optional, omit AIP)
- 3 tbsp cooking fat
- 2 teaspoons fine salt
- You’ll need a large stock pot, large skillet, high speed blender & a medium sized casserole dish (oven safe).
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- In a large pot place sweet potatoes and yuca, add in 1 garlic clove, cover with water. Sprinkle some salt in the pot, cook on high, bring to a boil and cook until yuca and sweet potato are fork tender.
- In the meantime…Small dice your onion, 3 garlic cloves, celery & carrots. Measure out seasonings and cut up 2 slices of bacon.
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tbsp cooking fat (I used olive oil), reduce heat to medium-high, add in onion, carrot, celery and bay leaves. Cook, stirring often until translucent, approx 8 minutes.
- Add in ground beef, breaking up with a spatula, add in seasoning. Stir often, until meat is browned.
- Add in water, and beef gelatin, mix well and bring to a rapid boil, keep stirring until well incorporated.
- Taste for salt, adjust. Pour ground beef mixture into casserole dish.
- In the same skillet, now cook 3 slices of bacon until crispy. Set aside. Save fat.
- By now, the root veggies should be done.
- Drain the water & carefully transfer to a standing mixer or blender.
- Add in a pinch of salt, almond milk or coconut milk & a teaspoon bacon fat from skillet.
- Blend until smooth. You will need to use a spatula to push it down a few times.
- Pour mash over ground turkey mix in long rows in the casserole dish over the meat.
- Use a spatula to smooth it out.
- Chop bacon into small bits. Sprinkle mash with ground hazelnut & crispy bacon bits.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350F.
- Then hit it with the broiler for 5 minutes.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 1/8 recipe
Keywords: paleo cottage pie