A great paleo apple pie recipe!
For the Crust:
- 1 cup hazelnut meal
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour + more for dusting
- 1 cup cold lard, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 egg white
- pinch salt
- 5 dates, seeded and soaked overnight, in 1/2 cup filtered water
- 5 organic Gala Apples
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 vanilla bean scraping
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Sift together flours & salt.
- Cut lard into flour by pulsing together in food processor until it looks like wet sand.
- Add in egg white and water (spoonful at a time) pulse until it forms into a ball.
- Remove from food processor and wrap in plastic, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Separate two large sheets of parchment paper.
- Place on counter and dust with tapioca flour.
- Place the ball in center and pat down into a disk.
- Dust the disk with tapioca flour and cover with the second sheet.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out into a 10in circle.
- Roll gently in an outward motion.
- Remove top sheet & carefully place the crust into pie pan- 8″ or 9″.
- If it cracks, use wet fingertips to repair the cracks.
- Smooth the pie crust up the rim of the pie pan, but don’t let it fold over.
- Collect the leftover scraps and roll out into a small sheet, use to cut out designs for the top, I made hearts and dots (set these aside).
- In 1/4 inch pattern make holes with the fork in the dough to prevent bubbling.
- Bake at 400F for 10 minutes.
- Remove and let cool to the touch.
- Pre-heat oven to 375F
- Peel your apples cut them in half & core them.
- Slice them in half moon slices, about 1/8 inch thick.
- Blend your soaked dates with the water blender until smooth.
- In a large sauce pot, on medium heat, melt coconut oil, mix in date puree.
- Add in apples, vanilla, sea salt, nutmeg + cinnamon.
- Gently mix.
- Cook until apples release liquid, they are tender and aromatic.
- About 5-8 minutes.
- Let it cool enough to handle.
- Pour apple mixture into the pie crust, setting aside a handful of the best looking slices.
- Spread out the apple mix. Then arrange the best looking slices on the top layer in a pattern.
- Place your design cut outs on the top.
- Bake at 375F for 35 minutes.
- If eating that same day, you can let it sit out, and heat up before serving.
- Or wrap up and store in the fridge overnight.
- Serving Size: 1/8 pie
Keywords: paleo apple pie