Low Carb Single Serving Bread
Sometimes you just need a slice…
This recipe was born a “mug cake” but evolved into a baked bread recipe and just works. You can still make it in the microwave or you can make it in the oven, honestly both turn out great. All you need is a small container, 7×7 pyrex works well, and 5 ingredients.
It’s definitely not a low calorie bread, but made with whole food ingredients, go ahead… say yes to the bread!
Avocado toast is back baby! I love it with scrambled eggs and some berries. Also great toasted and just eaten alone or with a cup of coffee. MmmMmmM… Low Carb, High Fat for the win!
I have not tried this with other flours.
But ghee, softened butter or coconut all work for the fat in this recipe.
Blanched almond meal worls best, for an soft, white bread, but you can use regular almond meal (almonds ground with the skin on) for a “whole wheat” bread look and feel.
If you make this bread share the love! Tag me on Instagram or Facebook @thecastawaykitchen
- 4 rounded tbsp fine ground almond meal
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp fat (melted coconut oil, olive oil, bacon fat etc)
- 2 tbsp water (a splash more if the mix seems thick)
- In a small, shallow microwave safe container whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda.
- Make a well in the center and crack an egg open into it.
- Whisk well, then add in the fat and water while you continue whisking.
- Once it becomes frothy start making bigger circles with your whisk or fork to incorporate the flour mix.
- Mix well, getting all the edges and sides. You can use a spatula to make sure you have it all mixed in.
- Tap the container down on the counter to settle the mix.
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds, or until the center is cooked (add cooking time in 30 second intervals).
- If you're baking it, use a glass dish, and bake at 350F (or 325F convection) for 20 minutes.
- Run a spatula around the edges to separate and remove it from the container.
- Pop it in the toaster for 3-4 minutes until crisp.
- Top with yummy things, enjoy