DID YOU KNOW…
Every Tuesday I go live on Facebook with some sort of cooking tutorial or talking about something like Whole30 or the AIP. This week I decided to show folks how to use my Paleo Sushi rice to make sashimi style sushi, rolls and nor wraps. With a smorgasbord of ingredients at my finger tips it was fun mixing and matching. I made a classic roll with sushi grade ahi tuna marinated in sesame oil and coconut aminos, add in some avocado, red onion and mango! Another was packing crispy bacon, mango, avocado and green onion. I know!
I also went to the beach today. It’s a full moon tonight and I’m feeling all sorts of cuckoo. So I skipped the gym, cleared up my day a little and made some time for: me. Of course I went to the beach, Vitamin D therapy is my jam… also I live in Hawai’i… so there’s that. Yup, winter here is rough you guys…
Here is the sushi tutorial playback… I did it using Facebook Live so it’s not edited, just real, awkward at times, rambling me… lol
Paleo Sushi Show & Tell with sticky cauliflower rice!>>> http://www.thecastawaykitchen.com/paleo-sushi-rice-aip/ <<<
Posted by The Castaway Kitchen on Tuesday, December 13, 2016
SUSHI BURRITO OR NORI WRAP?
The crown jewel of my sushi show and tell was the smoked salmon nori wrap. This super combination of smoked salmon, bacon, asparagus, opal apple and red onion… what!? Wrapped in sticky cauliflower rice, nori (sea weed) and topped with thinly sliced avocado, pomegranate and RANCH! Yup. Thank you Primal Kitchen!
The cauliflower rice comes together in ten minutes, and if you chill it while you cook your bacon and slice your veggies, the prep for this veritable Japanese inspired feast should only take 15 minutes. The rest is just handy work. Don’t get scared of this flavor combination. Think of this as a salad in disguise! The cauliflower (rice) are the base of the salad and all the other goodies are like the toppings!
THE INSTRUCTIONS MIGHT SEEM LONG, BUT THIS REALLY DOESN’T TAKE LONG TO ASSEMBLE! THE VIDEO IS 13 MINUTES AND IN THAT TIME I MAKE 3 WRAPS! SO YOU KNOW THIS IS EASY PEASY. I LOVE THESE KIND OF FUN MEALS THAT ARE SO OUT OF THE BOX YOUR TASTES BUDS REALLY GO FOR A RIDE. EATING PALEO THIS LONG, YOU REALLY HAVE TO CHANGE IT UP TO KEEP THINGS INTERESTING. ALSO, THESE WRAPS KEEP WELL IN THE FRIDGE FOR MEAL PREP, AND THEY TRAVEL WELL TOO! BE THE ENVY OF THE LUNCH ROOM WITH PALEO SUSHI! WHO KNOWS, YOU MIGHT EVEN CONVERT A FEW FOLKS… BUAHAHAHAHA!
- 1 large head cauliflower, about 5 cups riced (grated)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or other fat (sesame oil works really well!)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 heaping teaspoons Great Lakes Beef Gelatin, red can
- First shred your cauliflower. I like to use the grater attachment of my food processor, but you can also use a cheese grater.
- In a large pot heat oil on high heat.
- Add in the riced cauliflower and saute for two minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add in the salt, apple cider vinegar and sprinkle in the gelatin.
- Stir well.
- Add in the milk and stir it continuously as it comes to a boil.
- Continue to stir until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- As you stir it, if the liquid still pools at the bottom, keep cooking.
- It's done when you can see the bottom of the pan when you make a hole in the rice with a spoon.
- Then flatten the rice to the bottom of the pot and set to cool under a fan or by a window. I suggest you let it chill in the fridge for a while, the cooler it gets the stickier it will be.