Paleo Caesar Salad (Dressing!)
Oh the Caesar salad… the Big Mac of salads… I say that because a traditional Caesar salad boasts a very high calorie count & it’s not that nutritionally dense. That is definitely not the case with the paleoized rendition! It’s a fantastic entree salad and will fill up even my “meat & potatoes” husband.
The salad was composed of locally grown baby lettuce, avocado & free range chicken breast, seasoned with Flavor God Garlic Lover’s, sea salt & pepper. The croutons were replaced with crispy roasted parsnips, I tossed in coconut oil & Flavor God Everything Spicy & roasted for 20min at 425F.
Now the dressing takes a bit of effort, to create that savory & tangy, yet creamy combination that makes Caesar dressing so irresistible.
- 3 tbsp ground dried shiitake mushroom (you can make this in your blender, the dried mushrooms will crumble in to a great umami powder)
- 1 tbsp unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 tbsp lemon rind
- 3 large fresh basil leaves (optional, you can also use some oregano)
- 1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened (I used homemade, which tends to be thicker than store bought)
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lemon squeezed (just juice)
- n blender combine shiitake powder, coconut, lemon rind, basil, garlic, salt, pepper, and almond milk.
- Blend on low and gradually increase speed until high.
- When almost smooth and all dry ingredients are wet, lower speed, add in egg yolks.
- On medium speed, begin to drizzle in olive oil slowly.
- When you've poured in all the oil, the dressing should be thick & white and slightly chunky (like Caesar dressing).
- Add in lemon juice and whisk in.
- Taste. Adjust salt and pepper.
- You can add more lemon if you want more tang, or a hint of cayenne.
- This will make enough for 2-4 salads.
- Store in the fridge in air tight container.